This picture is an 18th Century view of the House built on the remains of a Summer Palace of the Archbishops of Canterbury who owned the Slindon Estate from 686 until 1542.
Queen Mary Tudor gave the Estate to her loyal servant Anthony Kempe and it was a centre and refuge for Roman Catholics until they were allowed to worship openly in the 19th Century.
It was extensively rebuilt by the last Squire, Frederick Wooton Isaacson in 1914 -1917, before becoming an Officers Convalescence Hospital during WW1.
The Estate was widely utilised during both World Wars, in WW1 for its timber, an airship station and POW Camps; Canadian Troops occupying the House in WW2.
Mr. Isaacson left the Estate to the National Trust in 1948 and for many years Slindon College, an independent boys school, has leased the House and grounds.
A few walls remain of the once extensive Stables, with its landmark clock tower. The clock had rung for some 150 years before its loss with the stables in a fire in the 1960s.