Slindon was a stronghold of the Roman Catholic community from the time of the Reformation as a result there are two churches in the village.
The ancient church of St. Mary’s dates mostly from the 1100s though it is likely that this replaced an earlier one. A large scale restoration took place in the 1860s and it remains largely unchanged today. A rare wooden effigy and a memorial plaque to Archbishop Langton of Magna Carta fame who died in Slindon can be seen. A guide book available in the Church gives a much fuller account, with a superb on-going collection of biographies of those buried in the churchyard.
St. Richard’s Church in Top Road is impressive and was built in 1865 and continues to serve a flourishing congregation. A booklet in the porch provides information on those buried in the delightful cemetery to the rear of the Church.
The pictures are of paintings by a popular villager, William ‘ Jimmy ‘ Pearse, butler to Mr. Isaacson at Slindon House for some 20 years until WWII.